AudiobookReviewer

AudiobookReviewer

Botanicaust

Botanicaust - Tam Linsey ABR's full Botanicaust audiobook review can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Botanicaust what a title, dredging up so many ideas in my head. A botanic holocaust? What could that entail? So many questions running around in my head.

Tam Linsey set out to create a unique world where the Earth was decimated by plants, of all things. Destroying anything resembling a society that I am familiar with. This, I am assuming, is set in the far future, after the devastation and humans have reconstructed.

Leaving three distinct species of humans. Plantfolk or Halvainiens. People that have undergone genetic cleansing and selection and manipulation. To turn them into plant-like humans. Sustaining themselves largely by photosynthesis.

There are the Fossilites, an immortal race of humans that are plagued by not genetically selecting. Leaving them with a majority of the population having Downs Syndrome. Living deep inside mountains and now they can hardly leave.

Lastly the cannibals, these are what the previous two call them. but really they are the Old Order. Trying to live in the wastelands.

We have Tula a plant person who's job it is to convert cannibals into plant people. Starts to develop feeling for Levi a cannibal and helps him escape into the wasteland. This is where Tula's life get turned upside down.

Botanicaust had more religious references than I normally hear. This didn't really bother me until the council meeting near the end. It fit into the story line, yet wasn't for me.

All in all Botanicaust is a well thought out and unique story of love, betrayal, racism, adventure and survival. A fun listen that leaves many questions unanswered, to be answered in future installments. I am interested to find out where Linsey will take these characters and look forward to learning more about this world.

At first Meghan Kelly reminded me of Emma Galvin's, soft spoken, kind of raspy, imperfect voice. She gave very little injection of anything as the narrator. However where she really shined was with the characterizations. Fluctuating her tone and volume to portray the vast array of ages, sexes, and races.

After listening to this whole story I am now sold on Kelly's skill and look forward to hearing more from her.

Audiobook submitted for review by the author.