AudiobookReviewer

AudiobookReviewer

The Walking Dead: Descent

The Walking Dead: Descent - Jay Bonansinga, Robert Kirkman ABR's full Descent audiobook review can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Now I do not think that it is a coincidence that this fifth book of the Walking Dead Novels came out within days of the new season of the TV show. I have been waiting a long time for both to come out and I really hope it has been worth the wait. As you and I both know hype and anticipation can sometimes kill something from being successful.

I for see this one to be more about, the Governor’s dead, now what? With Lilly taking the reins. Other than that I am not so sure where the story will go. Rebuilding Woodburry? Venturing out to create a new society? Pretty much wide open for Kirkman to create with a clean slate.

A zombie horde of hundreds, maybe thousands is what Lilly, Bob and the rest have to deal with. Woodburry is destroyed, the Governor’s dead. Now is the time for our ragtag group to create something new.

Without going into a summary of the story I will say there were low points and high points. This is definitely a transition book, you the sometimes painfully slow and confusing. Doing little more than to build story lines for future books.

Kirkman and Bonansinga have mastered the evolution of deep and expansive characters within these several books. Along with that they have been able to create a sense of urgency, despair and terror within my mind. Always thinking I know what is going to happen next and turning left when I thought it was going to go right. Keeping the listener on their toes or ears?

Decent was a subtly tense flight from the zombie horde. With exquisite action sequences, all the gore that one expects from the novels. Sure there were some sleep and WTF moments, however I will continue to be an fan of this franchise. Just keep them coming.

Oh Fred Berman how I have missed thee. He is one of the narrators that I love to listen to and he did not disappoint here. I would go as far to say that this is one of if not his best performance I have heard to date.

Characterizations done to perfection, emotional injection superb. Making be believe that he is in the middle of everything going on. Expressing the torment so well. Berman’s slightly raspy imperfect voice lending so well to the zombie apocalypse.

Audiobook purchased for review by ABR.