AudiobookReviewer

AudiobookReviewer

Spindown

Spindown - George Wright Padgett ABR's full Spindown audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

First thoughts about the cover for Spindown? Oh look, planets! I wonder if there are going to be spaceships. Or aliens! Aliens with tentacles worry me though.

The main character is Fowler 3085 for the most part. He is a clone. Most of the characters in this book are either clones or machines. There are a few non-clones, but they are few and far between. What’s awesome about this story is the clones at first remind me of the machines more humans. As the story goes on, Fowler learns what it is like to be more human with each passing moment.

This story focuses on the clones trying to escape the machines making them ‘Dormant Dead’ by getting to the Superintendent. It is a rather interesting take on what being a human will be, could be, and should be. Before the clones start realizing what they are, who they are, they think about themselves as almost one person per clone type. This is very obvious when they are in a killing chamber and see some of their clone selves dead on slabs.

It is an interesting take on clones, future technologies, and living on a different planet. The clones are the workers that are mining the planet for this rare ore. From start to finish they are in charge of the whole process. The only none-clones are in Superintendent Quarters. The Superintendent is little more than a hostess for anyone that visits the planet, and to watch to make sure the shipments get shipped off planet on schedule.

The narrator is Andrew Mcferrin. His voice is calm and melodic. I like his different voices he uses for the females in this story. Even when they’re thinking to themselves he uses ‘their’ voices. Sholv’s voice had me forgetting that it is a man saying her voice. This book has a lot of graphic scenes. It is a very good read and/or listen. I wouldn’t recommend it to a young audience though. The author is George Wright Padgett. This book is 17 hours and 32 minutes long.

This book left me thinking about the future mankind is creating for itself. Will we eventually make clones of ourselves? Fix our flaws we see in ourselves in each clone we make? Will we consider them ‘people’, family, friends…us? Or will we consider them property, things, tools, and disposable? What’s that thought say about humanity?

Audiobook provided for review by the Publisher.