AudiobookReviewer

AudiobookReviewer

Time of Death: Asylum (Time of Death #2)

Time of Death: Asylum (Time of Death #2) - Shana Festa ABR's full Asylum (Time of Death Book 2) audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

This is a review of the second book in the Time of Death series, please listen to that one first, then come on back here.

Let me break this story down to it’s basics, snark + zombies + dog = a whole lot of fun. Yes really that is all you need to know. But if you want more, please keep reading.

Asylum is a fairly unique tale. Because its main protagonist is a female medical nurse who has no survival skills other that what she has learned through her apocalyptic adventure. So, this second book picks up right around where the first left us. Where Emma and her husband sought refuge in a house boat. Seemed like a good idea at the time, as zombies can’t swim. Quickly they realize that they need a more permanent solution to their safety. The trek to find a more secure and sustainable camp begins. They soon learn of a fortress called Asylum (made me think of Woodbury) and feel the need to be there.

This is a fast, hilarious, and bloody romp through the zombie filled wasteland that will leave you wanting more. Festa has this insane ability to write as if she is telling this story to her best friend. Adding all of the witty snarkyness you can handle. If you want to have fun amidst the zombie apocalypse, look no further.

I read some reviews of this and the first book and it seems that some people have an issue with the staring role that Daphene, the dog, plays. Well, let me tell you, if you are as in love with your companion animal as Festa and her pooch or Me and my African Grey Parrot. You will know that everything really revolves around them. So I found this aspect sweet and touching opposed to annoying.

Also yes, there is a lot of potty talk. Not cursing, but bathroom breaks. More than I have ever heard. Not a problem here either, as I am very particular about where I choose to relieve myself and have already started to double think my choices today. I think the reason that so much crap happens to this group on their stops is just that, they stopped to allow the shambling dead a chance to catch up to them.

Sarah Tancer delivers a crisp clear and concise snark filled performance that I think is almost what Festa would sound like if she herself was doing the narration. This is something that, I think, authors strive to get when picking a narrator.

However, I found the snark to be a bit over the top and infused in just about every sentence. Making me wish that some of the characters at least sounded concerned about something other than the punchline. Because of this my mind drifted from time to time.

All that being said I will be looking for more from Tancer as I see big things in her future.

Audiobook provided for review by the author.