AudiobookReviewer

AudiobookReviewer

Deadman's Road

Deadman's Road - Joe R. Lansdale My full Deadman's Road audiobook review can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

I normally do not listen to westerns. Not sure as to the exact reason, but generally they do not appeal. Now throw zombies, monsters and mutants into the mix and my ears perk up. Makes wonder how those with nothing but a six-shooter at their side can find horrific creatures off.

I have to say that it was nothing more than the cover art that attracted my attention. In addition the pairing of Stefan Rudnicki into a genre that I have never heard him perform added to the fascination. A lone gunslinger standing against, an albeit small horde, a horde of zombies.

When I first picked Deadman’s Road I had no idea that it was a compilation of short stories. Happily I barely noticed while listening as each story was only separated by what seemed like a bit of time.

Our hero or maybe anti-hero is Reverend Jebidiah Mercer, a preacher that is on a mission from God. To seek out evil and vanquish it. Plain and simple. Paradoxically he is very cynical about God to others and at times, I would say, hates the entity. Even though he may not admit it he does love or at least likes the the innocent people. Do you remember the movie, The Pale Rider, Eastwood is Mercer. Lansdale was able to create a character that completely entranced me, that made my jar hit the floor and made me root for (very animatedly at times).

Joe R. Lansdale starts it off with a somewhat lengthily foreword about how this is not a reading between the lines. He also talks about how genres are made to mixed and this collection in western, horror, paranormal, action all at the same time.

Each story puts Mercer against one particular evil at a time, zombies, werewolves, vampires, and goblins. Hugely entertaining, find the evil, kill the evil, that is all. Quite gory at times and others very crass. I loved it!

If you are looking for something refreshing and entertaining, that doesn’t need you to think, you have to give this a listen.

Audiobook provided for review by the publisher.