AudiobookReviewer

AudiobookReviewer

The Home

The Home - Scott Nicholson ABR's full The Home audiobook review can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

First thoughts about the cover of The Home? Everything in the picture, except the person in front of the window and the chandelier, leans to the right. With the way it leans and the shades of blue set the tone for me to wonder if the story is going to be spooky/scary or coming of age/horror.

This book is about a twelve year old boy named Freeman Mills. The story starts with Freeman arriving at Wendover Group Home. He’s trying his hardest to be a hard case and be indifferent to the world around him to help keep out anymore hurts. A coming of age story mixed with super human abilities. There are other points of view in the story, but the main character is Freeman. Also, this book is 10 hours and 32 minutes long.

Daniel Dorse is the narrator for this story. Deep, smooth, twangy. Reminds me of Clint Eastwood’s voice. What I found funny is that Freeman actually mentions trying to act like Clint Eastwood. ‘Walk in mean, talk tough. Squint like a miniature Clint Eastwood with saddle sores, ready to eat nails and shit bullets.’ Would not recommend listening to this if you are laying down. His voice is very soothing if you get relaxed. I had to backtrack a few times. Still, really enjoyed his voice. Loved how it washes over you and brings you deep within Freeman’s world.

I was hooked into this story from the line ‘Enough peace and quiet to drive you squirrel shit nutty.’ It made me laugh and I found myself listening even more closely to what Freeman might think or say. I feel bad for the children in this foster home. A lot of them have mental issues. Rather than making it better, the doctors mainly make it worse. Add in the ghosts and the mental ‘trip-trapping’ and you have very interesting story.

The adults in this story seemed either wrapped up in their own narcissistic tendencies and/or their religious views. Rather than helping the children they seemed to want to use the children to further their careers. Bad examples for the children. I seriously feel bad for the kids in the foster home in this story. They get used like lab rats.

When I finished this story I had more appreciation for my home, my family. Children can understand and see things that many adults cannot. Trust them, listen to them, believe them. They need us to love them just as much as they need to give us love in return. Treasure them, they are precious.

Audiobook provided for review by the author.